2018 SLCan Sustainable Labs Conference
SUSTAINABILITY AND THE HUMAN ELEMENT
October 23-24, 2018
The Fort Garry Hotel
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS IS NOW CLOSED
“Labs embody the spirit, culture, and economy of our age...what the cathedral was to the 14th century and the office building was to the 20th century, the laboratory is to the 21st century”. (Dan Prowler, US Architect)
The 2018 SLCan Sustainable Labs Conference is a Canadian national forum focused on strengthening the sustainable laboratory community and sharing knowledge, promoting innovation and best practices, as well as providing a platform for strategic thinking and discussion on the challenges and opportunities related to these assets. Following the successes of the recent Conferences in Montreal and Edmonton, we are pursuing our efforts to provide participants with the best content for professional development and learning in the field of sustainable laboratories.
Sustainable Labs Canada (SLCan) and Conference Organizing Committee invite you to submit presentations on your involvement, your expertise and the current and future challenges do you anticipate with respect to the development and management of laboratories. Abstracts are encouraged in, but not limited to the following topics:
- Sustainable Futures
- Broad-based sustainable concepts, including social sustainability.
- Do not harm. Make a positive difference.
- Laboratories of the Future
- Cutting edge laboratory design and technology.
- Smart building technologies and labs.
- Designing for Change
- Anticipating future needs and providing flexibility in the planning of new labs.
- Smart and Sustainable
- How to implement international best practice and compound thought-leadership.
- The Science in Sustainable Science.
- Shaping the Future of Science
- Shifting paradigms in the delivery of facilities for science and discovery.
- Challenging Laboratory Design
- How to respectfully challenge norms and standard approaches.
- Rethink. Redo. Renew. Alternative science for sustainable science.
- Laboratories of Change
- Working to create scientific environments that are catalysts for change.
- Zero Waste and the Circular Economy
- Innovative ways to break the traditional economy of make, use, dispose.
- Net Zero Energy / Passive Systems and Labs
- The push to net zero in laboratories.
- A Map to Sustainable Labs – Walk with Us!
- Practical road maps to project planning, design, and delivery.
- The Hard COLD Facts…Sustainability in Winnipeg
- Sustainable design for cold weather climates!
- It’s a Blustery Day…A B C’s of Sustainability
- Breaking down the basics in sustainable laboratory design.
- People Sustained Science
- Sustainability seen through the lens of the human impact.
Abstracts can be submitted for consideration as oral presentations, poster presentations and case studies. Abstracts should be no more than 500 words and must include biographies for all presenters. The abstracts must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org using the Abstract Submission Form (closed).
Guidelines for submitting abstracts:
All abstracts must be submitted using the Abstract Submission Form (closed). Abstracts will be selected for inclusion in the preliminary program on the basis of a peer review by a panel of experts. Oral presentations and case studies are to be 45 minutes in length.
Special attention will be given to abstracts that:
- Focus on new developments and technologies;
- Evaluate a completed project's performance by presenting documented results over a period of time; and,
- Are presented by the facility owner.
PowerPoint (PPT) presentations must be submitted for review by subject experts. Authors of accepted presentations must revise their PPT presentations as required by the reviewers. Revised PPTs are to be submitted by e-mail. The presentations will be made available on the SLCan website (www.slcan.ca) following the Conference in the members-only section.
TIPS FOR PRESENTERS (selected abstracts)
June 1, 2018
June 12, 2018
Revised Abstract Due
June 25, 2018
Draft PPT Due
September 10, 2018
Final (Revised) PPT Due
September 24, 2018
Like Us On Facebook
- (no title)
- SLCan Conference 2018 – Agenda Now Available!
- Poster Design Competition for this year’s SLCan Sustainable Laboratory Conference
- One Day Left To Submit SLCan 2018 Conference Abstracts
- Open Lab: Meet Environment and Climate Change Canada’s scientists and get a unique behind-the-scenes glimpse into the National Wildlife Research Centre